Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Grandma Betty's Column

My maternal grandma used to write articles for a publication that was put out by her church in Ohio. (Now, at the age of 84, she and my grandpa - my maternal grandparents - are missionaries down in Mexico.) Her column was entitled "Grandmother's Point of View." In it, she taught little life lessons that every young woman needs to learn.

The Bible commands Christian women who have already experienced much of life to instruct the younger women to be godly wives and mothers.

Titus 2:3-5
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
"

Grandmothers can have such an impact on the lives of their grandchildren! A grandmother who encourages her granddaughters to follow God's calling for their lives extends her Christian legacy, and many generations to come will benefit from this grandmother's obedience to God's commands. Both of my grandmothers have been wonderful paradigms of the virtuous woman. They truly have shown by their example what it means to be "discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands." Even when the circumstances around them have been less than ideal, they have shone as true models of biblical womanhood.

My grandma is a godly wife, mother, and grandmother. She is a splendid helpmeet to my grandpa in their mission work down in Mexico. Because they lived near us only when I was little more than a toddler, I was not blessed with the many memories of this Grandma's house. Both of my grandmas are such a blessing to me and my family, and unceasingly provide living examples of what it means to follow God's calling for a woman's life.

I will try to post one of my grandmother's articles each month. We only have a small store of her early articles, but I have convinced her to write some more for us periodically! These little bits of wisdom and insight I hope will bless you as they have blessed me!

No comments: