Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Husband-to-be's Goals for the Education of Our Children



After we discussed practical home education on the phone one day, Tait sent me the following points in an e-mail:



1. We will emphasize character education. We will work on character prior to formal education, and emphasize it just as one would academics. We will emphasize our children’s relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ much more highly than we will academics. Our motto must be “No amount of education matters if our child goes to hell.”

2. We will heavily, heavily emphasize reading first out loud, then on their own. This will be the major thrust of our teaching.

3. We will work heavily on phonics and basic mathematics. Once these tools are mastered we will expect our children to do the bulk of their learning on their own. This does not mean that they will be unguided or not have to report in; it means that we will help them to set realistic goals, and work through those goals with accountability. On the flip side, this does not mean that we will use any curriculum type standard for what they work on. For example, if one child is interested in archeology, we will feed rather than discourage that interest, meanwhile helping them to balance that passion with other needful interests.

4. We will emphasize a notebook approach to school. The goal: That our children would not just learn to digest spoon fed mush, but would be able to accurately digest information for themselves through a biblical worldview.


Go to Tait's blog

Photo of my fiance, Tait, holding his two youngest nephews, Liam and Aiden

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful goals!! I've been thinking a lot lately about what I need to talk to my future-husband about (when he comes though!). These thoughts got me thinking! My mom and I were wondering though, what do you mean by a "notebook aproach"? We are pretty such what it means but my mom just wanted to be sure that she understood. I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog and your family's so much!! They are great encouragements to me! I hope and pray that your baby sister is doing better!!

Blessings,
Alexandrea
www.homesteadblogger.com/aquietlittlewoman

Lauren said...

Hello Alexandrea!

So glad you enjoy our blogs!

I'll forward your comment on to my fiance, and I'm sure he'll be happy to explain and clarify! (He can do it much better than I ever could!)

One thing that's a great thing to do (which I did not do) is to sit down with your parents before a guy even comes on the scene and write out a list of things that are important to you: beliefs, practices, etc. Not that those aren't going to change, or that you're looking for absolute perfection or agreement in every single minute detail, but it at least gives you an idea of what you and your parents expect in a guy!

Blessings to you Alexandrea,
~Lauren